Sunday, March 8, 2009

Amazing Records so far in 2009!!!


I have to say, it's been awhile since by the end of February there's been 3 records that I'd give the grade of an A to. I can't believe how good music has been so far.
First up, Thursday's comeback from A City by the Light Divided (not counting the e.p. and the live Kill the House Lights) proves to be a crowd and fan pleaser. When I bought A City by the Light Divided, I really thought that it didn't sound like Thursday. I could tell they were trying to continue to artsy-ness of War All the Time, instead it upset many fans. This one is a total return to the edginess of Full Collapse, but expanding their sound from War All the Time. There are some songs where Geoff's voice sounds as haunting as Radiohead's Thom Yorke. Actually, a couple of my friends who really like Radiohead, really like this album!!! If you like hard rock in general, this record is a must own from 2009. Key Tracks: "Resuscitation Of A Dead Man," "Time's Arrow," "Friends In The Armed Forces," and "Unintended Long Term Effects."




Next, Morrissey's Years of Refusal. I've been listening to past Morrissey records and I must say, I think this is the best one since 1992'sYour Arsenal (yes, even better than Ringleader of the Tormentors, You Are the Quarry, and Vauxhall and I). This record is at times hard rock, at times melodic, at times alternative. It showcases the musicianship of the band very well and the songwriting of Morrissey. This album has so many great lyrics, more than normal I mean for Morrissey..."Life is nothing much to lose, it's just so lonely here without you..." or "I know by now you would have thought I would have figured myself out, thank you drop dead." It's awesome. Key Tracks: "Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed," "Something is Squeezing my Skull," "That's How People Grow Up," and "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore."


Lastly, Lily Allen's It's Not Me, It's You. Somewhere along the way I missed the memo on Lily Allen. I had heard the name a couple of times, but never really thought anything of it. This time for her sophomore effort, I took note. What's better than a cute British girl, put to pop music, and lots of swearing...nothing. I did go back to listen to her first record and it's pretty good. This one however does seem a lot of more structured. The songwriting is really great too. I like how in the song "The Fear" she states, "I don't care about clever, I don't care about funny." I think DEFINITELY cares about cleverness, her lyrics RELY on it!!! And as a dude listening to her lyrics, I think it's impossible NOT to laugh at some of her lyrics. Overall, awesome record. Key Tracks: "The Fear," "22," "Not Fair," "Never Gonna Happen."

Like I've said, exceptional start to music so far. I still am digging the new Franz Ferdinand, The Incredibad (Andy Samburg's SNL short-songs), and U2, and yes there's going to be rant about them soon!!! BEWARE...

No comments:

Post a Comment