Thursday, January 29, 2009

Franz Ferdinand is back with "Tonight" and the Milwaukee Bucks problems...


Hey friends.

First off, being the avid music fan that I am, I feel obligated to voice my opinion on Franz Ferdinand's long-awaited 3rd effort, "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand" First off, their sophomore record, "You Could Have So Much Better," left me thinking that the record felt rushed and hurried. Its an okay record, but it didn't live up to the first one. The gang took nearly 4 years to complete this one. All in all, I'd say it shows. I encourage you all to read what critics write (including myself, I guess...) with caution. Rolling Stone gave this record 3 stars. Allmusic.com gave it a modest 3.5 stars. Finally, Blender magazine got it right, 4 stars. The first single and opening track, "Ulysses" sets up the record pretty well. Its a good song. But if you think thats good...get ready for a bitchslap with the next 3 songs, "Turn It On," "No You Girls," and "Send Him Away," deliver knock-out rocked out dance tracks (just like the debut). I really like "Send Him Away" because it reminds me of a Steely Dan 70's song, but I am a nerd for Steely Dan, hehe. They get a little more experimental on tracks like "Twilight Omens" and "Lucid Dreams." It works to perfection. I'd definitely give this record an 8 out of 10. Very solid effort and it beats the hell out of the last one (even though the singles off the last record were valuable). One thing that I MUST say about this record and the way it was received. This is was really what made me scream, Rolling Stone for example (and a couple others), essentially said "Yeah, but it sounds like everything they've done before..." Basically stating that it lacks progression from the predecessors. However, I argue, is that such a bad thing? Remember when The Strokes released "First Impressions of Earth," their last album. It sucked. Know why? It didn't sound like them at all. The crunchy, vintage distortions within the guitars were gone. Some bands like Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The Hives, and yes, I'll bust this one out...The Killers (look where changing their sound got them? Lots of pissed of fans from "Hot Fuss"). However, that doesn't mean they can't make better and better records, but certain styles of rock do not allow the sudden shifting of things like guitar tunings (tuning down or up), etc. Franz Ferdinand experiments just enough with their sound to keep it theirs. Check it out.

Okay, I hate to stick my junk in the Jell-O, but the Milwaukee Bucks are in trouble. Michael Redd, the team's star shooting guard, is out for the season. John Hammond, the Buck's GM continues to mention the fact that they will try to make a trade to help the playoff race cause before the trade deadline. Obviously, the Milwaukee Bucks need someone to step in place for the injured Michael Redd. But do we trade for a shooting guard or do we try to get another big threat under the rim with Andrew Bogut (when he frickin' comes back from back spasms!!)? Ramon Sessions has played well in Redd's place with 34 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, and 5 assists combined in the last two games. Then again, Charlie Villanueva has been playing well...But will it keep up? What do I suggest? Charlie V is playing great, if we really want another (somewhat) big name, I'd be okay for Milwaukee using him as trade bait. Also, 2 players just chap my ass right now on this team...Dan Gadzuric and Charlie Bell. They are decent, but they are not consistent and they hold us back. They could go as well and only Charlie V if its a really good deal! Here are some players I think could help Milwaukee. Shooting guards: Sacramento's John Salmons, Houston's Ron Artest (I know, he's a contraversial guy...), JR Smith (this guy wants a team who lets him play more anyways!). Forwards: Zach Randolph (you know, we almost got this guy last year!), LaMarcus Aldridge, or here's a good choice Mehmet Okur (Utah is just dying for a trade!!!). Sadly, I love our young talent, Sessions, Alexander, above all the newcomer 2nd pick Moute, however, Jefferson and Bogut (and Charlie V, if not involved with trade) cannot lead us alone. Sessions and Moute have to stay hot and one more key element, most likely created by means of a trade. Without these things, Milwaukee cannot make the playoffs...again.

Anyways, lets see coming up I'll be bitching about the upcoming baseball season, my Chicago Blackhawks, and my next record review will be Animal Collective's new record. There may be another blog or two before I get to these things. Until then, comment, tell me your thoughts on the new FF record or Milwaukee Buck's (if theres any fans out there), etc. Follow my blog :)

--Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment