Monday, February 2, 2009

Animal Collective's "Merriweather Post Pavilion" and an announcement


Hey friends.

After reading a lot of reviews about Animal Collective's new record, Merriweather Post Pavilion, I decided that I want/need to listen to it to see what the hype was all about. I listened to their sophomore record back in 2004, Sung Tongs, and it was alright, not amazing to me. So I hoped that this time around they'd be more appealing.

Rather than breaking down a record like I normally do, I am going to tell you what all the others haven't yet because to me, when I read the reviews for this album I was so convinced (which its their job to convince you yay or nay) that this would be "something for the masses."

Before you listen to this record, ask yourself...Do you like psychedelic rock? Do you like musicians like Mercury Rev, Bjork, Fuck Buttons or The Flaming Lips? If so, then you might just have found the new album to swear by. I remembered listening to them back in 2004 and thinking, "you know they're like psychedelic with pop influences." That's still true. I figured I better throw that out there before I have a bunch of people tell me, "well they're not just psychedelic..." (mainly they are though!).

This record does offer some very stimulating musical endeavors. "My Girls" almost reminds me of new wave 80's music. I like the clapping sounds and echoes of "Daily Routine," and the Beach Boys's Pet Sounds-style of the last track (and really a couple tracks are reminsicent of "Wilsonism," Brian Wilson). However, as much as I love my Beach Boys records, Animal Collective just really isn't for me I guess. BUT, do not mistake me, they have great songs. This isn't noise. The music is perfectly calculated. My main point, if you like really psychedelic rock, this may be the new record you and your friends turn on your black lights, have a smoke, and talk about Floyd with (certainly not me when I was a teen with Radiohead's OK Computer...but I am afraid I have said too much...) :)

Anyways, an announcement(s) I'd like to make. I am kind of going to not really make this about sports anymore, I will only when I feel theres something on a "global" scale to say about something. I think I am definitely going to stick to music, possibly more about my own project (The Avenging Plan), and life concerns, lessons, happenings, etc. I've had a crazy last week and there'll definitely be a story or two about something we probably at one point or another relate to. My objective is to relate and connect with you. Make a friend. Share thoughts. Follow my blog and I absolutely follow yours. Those are my sincere and honest intentions.

1 comment:

  1. I like it. It's another step in the direction of listenable. Feels and Strawberry Jam are fantastic albums and it seems as though the progression to Merriweather Post Pavilion makes sense. That said, it is not its predecessors and I think with the Water Curses EP we could have seen the new record coming. I almost feel that I should have...
    Anyway, I like it a lot and I think its a positive step for Animal Collective as a band.

    ReplyDelete